Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Few Of My Favorite Books

Mood: Mellow
Music: My Favorite Things, Olivia

It used to be a point of bragging, that I was a college level reader by the time I was in fourth grade. Of course, this is a wow inducing skill only if you are quite a bit closer to the age of a fourth grader than a college student, but I clung to it for a long time. I love to read.

A legion of books have grabbed and stayed with me through the years. On another blog, a literary agent asked his readers to name their favorite books published in 2008, and quite a few of us listed favorites which happened to be published before this year. Mine were Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and My Lover's Lover by Maggie O'Farrell, to name a few. And of course, there was the juggernaut Twilight, which frankly, is a book you either love or hate. I have taken to refusing to discuss it with those who hate it - they simply don't understand.

My other list, however, are the books I pick up to read over and over again, that I quote endlessly, and that are in the pile of literature I'd want with me on a desert island. See below.

1. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
There are few books which give me as great pleasure as this one, when Jo grumbles that Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents, and I'm off on yet another round with the March girls. I love the way Alcott takes us all the way to the end of the story... the book ends with each March sister's tale neatly wrapped and complete. I prefer not to be left hanging.

2. Native Son by Richard Wright
At completely the other end of the spectrum is Wright's tale of a young black man running from the law after murdering a young white woman in a moment of panic. The imagery in this book is incredible; when Bigger Thomas is in the dank sewer, you are right there with him. You'll need a shower after. Bigger is not a character we should sympathize with, but if you manage to get to the end of the novel without doing so, you're in the minority.

3. Fifteen by Beverly Cleary
This was my first Twilight, a book which made my heart stutter and my imagination start producing all sorts of epic love affairs starring me. If there is a better moment than when Jane gets her man, Stan - I don't know what it is. I adore this book.

4. The book of Ruth, The Bible (I don't know the author)
Ruth is a love story, not between a man and a woman (at least not at first) but between a woman and her mother in law. They aren't romantically involved, but there is a heightened sense of dedication to the older woman from the younger. When Naomi's two sons die, her daughter in law Ruth follows Naomi back to her native land, although Naomi warns her she has no more sons for marrying. And then Ruth ends up married to one of the richest guys in the country, who happens to be related to Naomi. So see? If you're nice to people, you'll end up rich. Well, not really, but it's a nice story.

5. The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein
This is a children's book, but the lesson within it is for all of us. I still can't read this book to my own children without getting choked up at the end, when the old man is sitting on the stump and the tree is so happy.... excuse me. I need a moment.

6. The Godfather, Mario Puzo
Books are always better than the movies made after them, so it's no surprise that the same is true here. And since the movie was spectacular and one of my favorites that I quote all the time, too, it just goes without saying that I strongly recommend that every sentient being pick up this book and read it. You learn so much about the characters. Bravo, bravo, an offer I can't refuse, and all that.

7. The Princess Bride, S. Morgenstern. Or William Goldman, depending.
S. Morgenstern wrote the original novel, and William Goldman presented an abridged version which is more like the campy, wonderful movie most people have seen (and if you haven't seen it...really? Seriously? Interesting). This book has everything (a book without a strong love story is, to me, pasta without sauce. Certainly enjoyable, often delicious, but always better with the sauce).

8. Sex and the City, Candace Bushnell
I have a lot of fun reading this. I always try to figure out which socialites are hidden in the characters in the chapters. And I always have an urge to write a Washingtonian edition of the book, because puleeze, New York: Washington is definitely the king of social scandal and naughty, sexy secrets. Ask anyone (they'll want to answer off the record).

9. Misery, Stephen King
I've read many Stephen King books, when I was in the mood to be scared to death and have nightmares for days on end. This one delivers both nicely but is more of a thriller than a horror. And once you've seen the movie, superimposing Kathy Bates' voice over the text is impossible to avoid and makes the read even better. You better read this book, Mister Man!

10. The Pilot's Wife, Anita Shreve
I am the tiniest bit obsessed with breaking up. I've written short stories about it, and there is no other relationship conundrum which so captures my attention. I think I have abandonment issues. I don't know - I'll ask my next therapist. At any rate, I love this book. It examines a relationship so thoroughly - its only flaw being that I couldn't possibly take this book with me on a plane.

I promised myself I'd stop at ten. So I'm stopping. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Native Son is on my list of favorite books as well. Others would have to be Sophie's Choice, The Handmaid's Tale, and To Kill a Mockingbird. (I could come up with ten if I tried, but I'm too tired at the moment.)