Thursday, January 8, 2009

Next Year's Card

Mood: Happy (Houston? We have sun!)
Music: I'm Too Sexy, Right Said Fred


My husband informed me the other night that he wishes we'd send out our photos with our holiday card. I reminded him that I did send a photo out with some of our cards, and despite the fact that it wasn't specifically a family holiday photo, and I didn't bother to play with the borders or otherwise put in much effort before I sent it to Target for printing, it was a photograph. Of us. Housed within a holiday card.

I think he's been bitten by the bug, because he didn't find this sufficient. One, I didn't include it in all the cards. For instance, I didn't include it in the card that went to the photographer who actually snapped the photo because duh - she already has it. "Not printed or framed," my husband pointed out, a thinking I find slightly ambitious. There are a limited number of households that desire to display our framed, smiling faces on their side tables. Perhaps a slightly larger contingent that might feel moved to toss our photo into an album, so we can become those people they used to know when they crack open the album twenty years from now.

A good half of our holiday card list would have filed our photo in the trash bin post Epiphany. I saved them a step and did not include a photo.

Now I'll spend next December and January thinking about my poor children's crumpled little faces as they lie at the bottom of a pile of discarded holiday cards, since I have been requested to include our photo in every holiday greeting in 2009. Actually, the request was to make our photo the holiday greeting. Forget Jesus in the manger! Old news! People want to see the Mannerz Family!

So. I apologize if you considered my card stuffed with photo gauche, or did not receive a photograph at all. I was being modest. And modesty does too sometimes come packaged in laziness. I checked.

Next year, your greeting from us will be properly outfitted.

And I guess I have until then to do something with my hair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least tell or show me which photo it was. ;-)

I still have the photo of the twins that you included in their birth announcement (I kept that, too).

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

LOL! It's the one of the five of us, standing on our deck.