Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Just Do It

No specific mood, really. And no music is playing.
~~~

The last time I sent out a few chapters for a quick look see, my friend told me the plot reminded her of something she saw on Lifetime once. Or somewhere similar. She graciously added that the movie had been entertaining, at least.

It may have been an After School Special.

Or, perhaps, a Scholastic Reader story. One of the short ones. In the big font.

Clearly, I needed to identify an alternate plot. And that's what I've been doing - musing about my next long format story. And producing at work - a lot - but since work isn't terribly important to my inner well being, I will skip the details on that.

The plot is a key stepping stone - perhaps the key stepping stone - to writing a story of any length. Characters can surprise you during the process, can evolve in ways you didn't foresee or take actions that you hadn't anticipated, but they don't really show up at all until you've provided them a vehicle. You know - four sisters make the best of life while their father is away fighting... what war did Mr. March fight in, anyway? Or guy with a hunched back falls in love with a beautiful woman. In a tower, I think.

You have to have a story, and while it can be the literary equivalent of a straight to DVD movie, I think I'm capable of producing something more. A "B" movie with a Paris Hilton cameo, at least (I am kidding. Really. Though I might not turn my nose up if the Wayans brothers called).

But I digress. I'm having plot issues, and my lately my writing has been choppy, giving me seasickness when I go back to read it (please use this post as Exhibit A).

So that's why I haven't posted much. I'm short on Dramamine. And short on drama (this is a good thing). But I'm not shutting down shop altogether, and will make a better effort to fling something into cyberspace more regularly. That's what Mrs. Early, my childhood piano teacher, would suggest, because practice really is what makes perfect.

Note to self.

2 comments:

Two Shorten the Road said...

Don't worry too much if someone thinks your plot sounds familiar. You know what they say ... there are only two primary plot devices in literature: a hero goes on a journey, and a stranger comes to town. ;)

Champagne on Tuesdays said...

LOL - very true. And... very true! LOL.

I think she found it cheesily familiar, though. I wasn't executing it well. But I'm tweaking...stay tuned.