Mood: Winning
Music: None, again
I'm actually enjoying my Monday, which is either a sign of spring or a sign that I have finally fallen off the deep end.
At least four to five times this weekend, I thought of something to blog about, decided I wouldn't stop doing whatever I was doing, and promptly forgot about it. Because blogs (like books and stories) so rarely write themselves, this is something I need to work on.
Yesterday I began a short story with the working title "Christians Who Cuss" (I am never sure where to put the period, so am avoiding it by admitting I don't know). The story may evolve into something longer; I'm not yet sure. The central character has many spiritual similarities to me, and the overall theme is an examination of her journey in determining who God is and is not.
The story came to me as I was traveling last week with a coworker, who shared some thoughts from his own spiritual journey in one sentence, and then let out a stream of expletives the next, in a story so funny I was wiping tears from my eyes. It caught my attention - the marriage of these two seemingly incompatible trains of thought, the way he was so carefree in tripping both the highly spiritual and basely secular off his tongue. I was reminded of a story I once read, about a person who asked God whether or not it was okay to put down the Bible in favor of a comic book, and God answered back, "Please feel free to read the comic book. All I really want is for you to invite me to read it with you."
That story has stayed with me as I bump around life, mainly believing, often questioning and sometimes doubting. I hope I can bring a little bit of that feeling to my story. We'll see.
Happy Spring. :)
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Happy Spring, indeed. Happy to see your post, too!
Post a Comment